Strath Haven A Better Chance
A Better Chance is the oldest and only national organization of its kind changing the life trajectory for academically talented youth of color via access to rigorous and prestigious educational opportunities for students. Our mission is to increase substantially the number of well-educated young people of color who are capable of assuming positions of responsibility and leadership in American society. A Better Chance Strath Haven has two houses, each with 5 to 8 Scholars who are from various urban areas. The Scholars come to us as 9th graders and attend Strath Haven High School for four years. They live in a house with a Resident Director (RD) and 2 Resident Tutors. We have been fortunate to have had many talented and dedicated students who have gone on to prestigious universities and meaningful careers. The ABC program has been a successful part of the Swarthmore Wallingford for 35 years, enriching and touching the lives of many people.
ABC Strath Haven is recruiting a Resident Director for the Girls House. In the family model of our organization, the Resident Director is the house "parent", responsible for ensuring that the house is a safe, supportive environment for our female Scholars. Like any "parent", the Resident Director takes final responsibility for ensuring that the needs of the Scholars are being met and that the Scholars are following the rules and thriving in the program. A more detailed list of Resident Director duties are as follows:
- Fulfill the role of house parent for 5-8 Scholars in a residential environment.
- Supervise Scholars’ daily academic and extracurricular activities, as well as their social, emotional, and physical welfare with the support of full-time tutors.
- Take an active interest in the students and join with them in becoming part of a family unit; this necessitates taking part in the evening meal.
- Supervise household duties (chores) with the students and the tutors. Some food shopping and transportation may be required. Rotate weekend coverage of house and students with other staff.
- Help direct the activities and oversee the responsibilities of tutors, cook, and other personnel to ensure they promote and support the goals of the program.
- Keep House Committee informed of students’ progress and potential problems. The Resident Director is the liaison between the staff of the house and the Board of Directors.
- Manage household funds. Maintain and provide receipts as required.
- Present a positive example of concern and mutual respect for all and for the maintenance and appearance of the house.
- Attend House Committee meetings on a monthly basis and other meetings as requested.
- Bachelors Degree or greater.
- Ability to both work with teens of color and engage with an all-volunteer organization and the local Swarthmore Wallingford community.
- Commitment to the advancement of young people of color.
- Teaching experience preferred - couples also invited to apply .
- Separate living quarters (12 months) and board (10 months).
- Small monthly stipend.
- Joy in knowing that you're helping a group of fantastic young women on their road to success.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Board, A Better Chance Strath Haven at firstname.lastname@example.org.