Resident Academic Coordinator
Guilford A Better Chance
A Better Chance is a national non-profit organization that provides academically talented students of color the opportunity to reside in communities in the United States where they can attend outstanding public or private high schools.
Guilford’s A Better Chance Program consists of six young women of high school age (our Scholars) who attend Guilford High School and live in a house with a full-time Resident Director. A cook prepares the evening meal from Monday through Thursday each week, when the Scholars are in residence during the school year. All personnel report to the Executive Committee of the Board of Guilford’s A Better Chance.
The candidate for the position of Resident Academic Coordinator must have a proven record of dependability, flexibility, collaboration, maturity, and academic achievement in language arts. Other qualifications include:
- College degree or matriculation in college/university or graduate program
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to submit to a formal background check
- Willingness to work productively with other house staff, the Board’s Academic Affairs and Student Life Committees, host families, Scholars’ families and high school personnel
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills
- Tutoring language arts skills two nights a week and sharing with our Resident Director the task of being present at formal study hours Sunday through Thursday 7 – 9 p.m.
- Working with our Resident Director and our Chairperson of Academic Affairs in monitoring academic progress and coordinating academic activities
- Supporting our Resident Director in scheduling coverage in the House on the two weekends each month when our Scholars are in residence
- Supporting our Resident Director in management of the House
- Being “on call” for supervising and transporting the Scholars, as necessary, except during the candidate’s scheduled commitments to her/his own academic schedule or approved outside employment
- Participating in family style dinners at 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- Establishing and abiding by a performance plan as stipulated by the Board
The Resident Academic Coordinator is released of her/his duties as follows: school vacations and three-day weekends in the public school calendar, as well as one Host Family Weekend per month. Additional time off during “on duty” weekends will be negotiated with our Resident Director.
- A stipend of $500 per month for each month of the academic year that the Resident Academic Coordinator is employed
- Private bed/sitting room and bath year round (unless the contract is not renewed, in which case, the room benefit will end on June 30)
- All meals during the academic year (value of the room and board package is $15,000)
- The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of young women of color
The contract will be renewable annually.
Opportunities for additional compensation, as listed below, can be negotiated:
- Acting as Administrative Assistant to the Board President and various Board Chairpeople, at $15 per hour
- Supervising the ABC House Monday through Friday from 2:15 – 4:30, at $10 per hour
The Resident Academic Coordinator reports directly to the Resident Director and will be formally evaluated by the Personnel and Academic Affairs Committees four times during her/his tenure, soon after the end of each of the four marking periods at Guilford High School.
Position Available: End of August, 2013, with interviews beginning now
(Earlier occupancy in the House – negotiable)
Send cover letter and resume to: Linda – Personnel Chair, Guilford’s A Better Chance Program