Alumni Share Their Experiences
“It starts from the premise that talent resides in every American community— and then puts that talent in the way of opportunity. It’s as simple and as powerful as that.”
- Deval L. Patrick, Milton Academy '74, Governor of Massachusetts
"It is without question that this organization has played a tremendous role in my life and I will never forget the opportunities that it afforded me educationally. I owe my educational pedigree to the A Better Chance mission."
– Dr. Christopher Leggett, Phillips Academy '78, prominent Atlanta cardiologist
"My A Better Chance experience has provided me with knowledge and resources that I can use to advance further in life. It is important for generations to come to have this same experience so that they will be blessed with the same opportunities."
– Tanita W., St. George's School '98
"The A Better Chance program helped me to discover my own potential... The support network helped me to realize and pursue goals that might otherwise have been discouraged."
– Derek W., Appleton Public School Program '85
"I have learned that with the tools I possess there is no limit to what I can accomplish."
– Tammy T., St. Catherine's School '99
"When I was 14, I didn't know the power of a dream. But now, I'll be able to keep dreaming, and help others to dream and to reach for something higher."
– Daniel S., Harvard-Westlake School '99
"My philosophy on giving and caring is that everybody, at some point in his or her life, needs a little boost; a little help; a better chance; and after benefiting from that boost, that person should do his or her best to give back and to help others. It's that simple. And that is what I have tried to do all of my adult life…"
– William L.
"A Better Chance works!"
– William M. "Bill" Lewis, Jr., Phillips Academy '74, former Chairman of the A Better Chance Board and managing director and co-chairman of Investment Banking at Lazard Ltd