Philadelphia, PA - Full Time
WHO WE ARE
Since 1963, A Better Chance has been the only national organization of its kind, working to increase substantially the number of well-educated young people of color who are capable of assuming positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
As a national organization, ABC has offices across the country that form a network of support for students of color interested in attending ABC’s member schools as they prepare to become the leaders of tomorrow. The Assistant Manager for Admissions and Placement in the Middle States Region will play a key role as a local representative of the national organization tasked with working to ensure students from the Middle States Region (Philadelphia, Washington DC, Cleveland, Detroit & Chicago) have access to ABC programming and opportunities. Reporting to and working closely with the Middle States Regional Manager, the Assistant Manager for Admissions & Placement will be an engaging team member excited to collaborate with others to ensure the achievement of ABC’s mission. The Assistant Manager will be someone who embraces and articulates ABC’s mission to prospective students and families; collaborates with staff, schools, and community-based organizations across the country to grow awareness of and engagement in the ABC program; and supports administrative and programmatic needs for the successful identification, preparation, and placement of students with ABC’s member schools.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Middle States Regional Manager and serving as an integral member of the Middle States Team, the Assistant Program Manager for Admissions & Placement will be primarily responsible for supporting programmatic duties associated with Admissions & Placement. This position is full time and will be based in Philadelphia, PA.
Job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Admissions and Placement
- Develop and maintain relationships with a network of representatives from feeder schools, churches, civic and community-based organizations, alumni and other volunteers
- Design and lead presentations that accurately and competently explain the educational programs available to our students
- Make prompt and effective contact with inquiries and redirect unqualified candidates based on incompatible educational goals or program criteria
- Organize recruitment activities that are aligned with our institutional brand, mission and strategic plan
- Lead the coordination of Benchmark Testing Days
- Ensure completion of applications by working with applicants and their families
- Read and evaluate student applications
Cohort Development & Placement/Advocacy:
- Support the planning and execution of our annual Summer Skills program
- Work with Regional Manager to identify qualified teaching staff for Summer Skills program
- Work with test prep partners to facilitate programs for Candidates in the cohort
- Lead the coordination of Interview Days, Admissions 101, Financial Aid and other admissions readiness related workshops
- Spearhead annual testing initiatives in partnership with SSAT and ERB
- Assist Regional Manager with school referrals for Candidates in the cohort
- Advocate for our Candidates with school leaders and admissions officers at our Member Schools
Member School Growth & Cultivation
- Assist Regional Manager with developing strategies for growing Member Schools base in accordance with our strategic plan
- Develop and maintain relationships with, and instill enthusiasm for our program in our Member Schools through annual site visits
- Support the A Better Chance Scholars in their Member Schools across the Middle States region through in person visits and virtual check ins
- Support the planning and execution of Scholar Support activities such as the summer opportunities fair, SAT prep, college planning, college financial aid and scholarships, career planning, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with organizations that can extend our scholar support reach such as summer programming organizations, colleges & universities, college access organizations, etc.
- Manage Parents-As-Partners meetings and committees that operate in the Middle States Region
- Support the Middle States team in planning and executing an annual High School Orientation for newly placed Scholars in the Middle States region
- Assist Regional Manager with analysis to interpret enrollment data using the information collected to direct strategic decisions
- Create, distribute and analyze surveys to assess the efficacy of our admissions readiness programs
- Record all required data (i.e., attendance, attrition, college matriculation, etc.) for regional programs either designed by A Better Chance or given jointly with a partner organization
- Develop, manage and/or utilize organizational tools to manage data, assignments, priorities and tasks.
- Assist with special projects as needed within the organization
WHO WE ARE SEEKING
- Someone who has earned a Bachelor’s degree
- An individual with experience working with students and families from underserved backgrounds, preferably within an educational setting (K-12 or higher education)
- A person with experience in teaching and/or training, program management and/or event planning
- An individual with a proven ability to prioritize, organize and follow through on tasks and deliverables within a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment; must be highly detailed oriented
- Someone with a keen understanding of the broad educational issues facing educational systems in the US and students of color in particular
- An individual with a valid driver’s license; someone who is able to work some evenings, frequent weekends and travel throughout the Middle States Region (Philadelphia, Washington DC, Cleveland, Detroit & Chicago)
- Someone who is highly proficient in Microsoft Office products and web & cloud-based applications
- A person with a proven ability to work with a wide range of people organizationally
- Prior experience working in an independent school setting is a significant plus
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please forward your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and at least three professional references to BBTennant@abetterchance.org by August 19th. Please note “Assistant Program Manager - Admissions & Placement, Middle States – [your last name]” in the subject line of your email. Only candidates being considered will be contacted. Position will remain open until filled.